Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wikis!

Wiki is the hawaiian word for "fast". However it has been suggested that Wiki stands for "What I Know Is". Wikis are an online collaboration website. Mulitple users can log on and modify a shared space. Wikipedia is one of the most popular Wikis on the internet. In this assignment you will view Common Craft's "Wiki's In Plain English", you will play around with a couple of wiki websites, and you will invite me and a couple of classmates to join you in creating something on a wiki. Finally, you will post a link to your wiki on your blog and reflect about your experience. Make sure you also comment on one of your classmate's blogs.

Assignments-
1- Watch Common Craft's "Wiki's In Plain English". Reflect about what you saw in the video on your blog and comment on the class blog.



2-Below you will find a series of websites dedicated to teaching teachers how to use wikis and wikis for educators to participate in. Check them out share what you thought in your blog. Also, come up with ideas for how you might use wikis in your classroom. Make sure you comment on at least one of your classmates' blogs.
Using Wikis in Education
Librarian Wiki
How to Wiki
Curriki- A teacher sharing wiki. I tried this one out. It wasn't working well when I tried it. However, the concept was really cool. You can share lesson plans, curriculum and resources with other teachers.

Marhsall Middle School Professional Sharing Wiki

And check out Will Richardson's Wiki on Web 2.0! It's fascinating!

Oh and I just found this great Wiki called "Learning in Maine" from Free Tech for Teachers!

Oh and Free Tech for Teachers has a wiki as well!

3-Choose one of the following wiki websites to create your own wiki. The topic of your wiki is your own choice. Try to think about how you would use a wiki with your students. I like to use wikis to create collaborative studyguides for my students. I upload the studyguide I give them in class and allow them to make changes to the document. It is a great way to see if they have been paying attention! However, there are many ways you can use wikis!
Wiki Webistes:
PBWiki- This site is directed towards educators. It provides tutorials and resources to put your class online.
Wikispaces- This wiki site is really easy to use. I have seen many educators use this website for their classes.
How to Wiki



Check out the Web 2.0 Wiki that Marianne Haggerty and I worked on for an inservice workshop.

18 comments:

  1. Here is my address for the wiki page I created - I do not know what to put on it yet?
    http://teachinggrade3.pbwiki.com/FrontPage#comment1234403890

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Megan. I made the wiki page, but I don't know how to use it in my classroom. Here's the site: http://fun-in-third-grade.pbwiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my wikki about the next book I will be reading with the class - The Giver. I'm thinking I could use it as a tracker where students can add their own opinions about issues - eventually we are going to have a debate in class about ideas from the book, so this is a way they can get started forming their own opinions. The address is http://mseatonthegiver.wikispaces.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the address for my wiki page. I am still working on ideas to put on the page that I could use with my students. Since I teach first grade, the students are young and I am trying to decide how to use this technology with them. I do see how using a wiki could help teachers and older students.

    http://gradeone.pbwiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video on “wiki’s” was very informative. It certainly changed my opinion on thinking that planning for something using email is the best way. I can see how a WIKI can be much more organized and efficient when everyone has access to the same page. Using this in a first grade classroom may be challenging but I’m always up for a challenge! I can also see how it can be useful when working with other colleagues when team teaching.

    Here is the link to my WIKI:
    http://funinfirstgrade.pbwiki.com/FrontPage#comment1234988570

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    I just created a main WIKI with a link to my 4 class wikis. I think this will be great to share problem solving strategies.
    I also like it as a communication tool.
    It also may be useful to have as an online storage area for notes and procedures.
    The URL for my wiki is
    http://mrshohrath.pbwiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading and thinking about the information on the many links above. My head is so full and yet I have more questions than ideas.

    I get the part about a wiki focusing on a specific project, topic and audience. I get the part about a wiki being "a focused method of sharing knowledge within a defined community." (Mader) What I don't get is how to make a wiki creative and useful for my 2nd grade classroom and students.

    I like the ideas of collaborative learning, information sharing and engagement. What I wonder is how to assess whether the wiki is accomplishing my goals. How do I know if it's contributing to students' knowledge and understanding?

    I would appreciate any feedback you have. I posted 2 questions on my wiki: isewell.wikispaces.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wiki is located at:
    http://slishs.wikispaces.com/

    Visit my blog for my thoughts about the development of this wiki:
    http://slishs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time that I've been introduced to wiki and I think it would be a useful tool both in and out of the classroom. It is a great way to organzie group activities or classroom projects. It wouldn't be useful with the age group that I teach, but it may be useful in my personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a wiki could be a fabulous tool. I thought the video was excellent in regards to explaining how to coordinate a group of people for a task where everyone has input. I can see applications for this kind of site in general, not yet for classroom use.

    My wiki site is....https://speaking-together.wikispaces.com/ I'm still working on the content!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an idea for a wiki website, such as, news in the preschool classroom, but I'm having trouble creating my own link. Just when I think I'm doing things right and I'm getting it, I'm really not. I think I will need help in class on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally, I did it!!!!

    My wiki site is... https://whatsnewinpreschool@pbwiki.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys have done a great job! I have posted all of your links on the link list! Check out what each other has created and give some feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems simple enough, but I haven't tried it yet. Can you add it to a web page, like a classroom page, or link it somehow? It might be something I can use with my parents when I try to organize things. Is it secure?
    I created a wiki but don't really know what to do with it. It's bigbirdswiki.pbwiki.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok. I will try this one more time. I am super confused. I am having a real hard time posting any comments so lets hope this one finally goes through. I will be honest with everyone, I have never heard of a wiki until this class. I am unsure how my students will be able to use it. I do believe it is a great way for teachers to get new and updated materials. I am giving it a go: my wikispace (just at the beginning stages) is krisia14.wikispaces.com. The space will be geared toward science, more specifically, the states of matter. I find that each grade in the elementary schools touches upon this subject at some level.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After viewing the "Common Craft" video I have a better understanding of what a wiki is. To be honest, the only thing that I knew about wiki's before was that it was somehow related to wikipedia. When I asked friends and colleagues...I got the same response. It certainly seems like an easy and effective way to cut out chain emails and gather responses from many different parties on one page. I could see this as a potential peer editing tool for older students.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I chose "Book Talk" as my topic for my first wiki. I hope it to be a collaborative list of books including title, author, genre, character, summary and review for fourth grade students. I also hope for students to comment on each other's book review. The idea combines the creation of a suggested 4th grade reading list with the option to comment, as in lit. circles.

    My wiki address is:
    http://fourthgradewithmrsk.pbwiki.com/

    ReplyDelete